Fall Protection is Always in Fashion
Kin Ong, Risk Manager
While a fall protection harness may not always be convenient or stylish, they are critical to keeping employees safe. Falls are the most common cause of serious work-related injuries and deaths with over 500 fall-related deaths every year reported to OSHA.
Identifying potential fall hazards and deciding how best to protect workers is the first step in reducing or eliminating the exposure. Fall protection must be used in the following situations:
- When working above dangerous equipment, regardless of the height;
- When working on forms or steel reinforcing over 6’ in height;
- When working on scaffolding over 10’ in height;
- When on walking / working surfaces over 4’ in height in general industry;
- When on walking / working surfaces over 6’ in height in construction;
- When using vertical ladders without cages over 24 feet; and
- Whenever working in an articulating and/or telescoping boom lifts and bucket trucks.
If your employees are exposed to any of the above situations, fall arrest systems must be used. Fall protection training is an important part of each entity's overall safety program to ensure employees receive training on proper safety procedures.
As a reminder, the Safety & Loss Control Grant
can be used toward training costs. FREE online training is also available through Target Solutions. For more information, please feel free to contact us at 800-400-2642.