Update 09: 15 April 2016
News from the National Best Practice Unit for Tackling Indigenous Smoking (NBPU TIS)
Welcome to our regular update from the National Best Practice Unit for Tackling Indigenous Smoking (NBPU TIS). The NBPU TIS online resources are currently being finalised, so these weekly updates are our way of sharing information with grant recipients. Thank you.
National Workshop â€“ 11th & 12th May, 2016
There is a sense of excitement in the air at NBPU TIS as we have been very busy organising the first National Workshop. With the venue, facilitators, catering nearly finalised; itâ€™s starting to look like great workshop to attend. All TIS-funded organisations and key stakeholders should be receiving their Registration Forms via the emails soon. If you are interested in attending the workshop, please complete the Registration Form and send it back to our office by Friday 29th April 2016. If you are wanting some local knowledge around the area, accommodation or great places to eat, by all means give the NBPU TIS a call.
Desley Thompson, Manager of the NBPU TIS and Allan Miller, Liaison Officer of the NBPU TIS was accompanied by Rod Reeve, Project Co-ordinator, on one of the last rounds of consultation visits last week. This visit was to beautiful Mt Gambier where we met with the newly formed Pangula Mannamurna TIS team, CEO â€“ David Copley and Programs Manager â€“ Angela Sloan. This was a great opportunity for us to talk to the group about the NBPU TIS plus our role in supporting them all.
L-R: Desley Thompson and David Copley
Aboriginal Health Council of South Australia (AHCSA)
Desley Thompson, Manager of NBPU and Allan Miller, NBPU Liaison Officer recently met with the Aboriginal Health Council South Australia (AHCSA) as part of the consultation process. NBPU is looking forward to working in support with CEO Shane Mohor, Program Manager Paul Ryan, and key staff members Ben Stewart and Trent Wingard
L-R Ben Stewart(AHCSA), Paul Ryan(AHCSA), Allan Miller(NBPU), Trent Wingard (AHCSA).
NBPU TIS Advisory Group
The NBPU Advisory Group held its first meeting on Monday 11th
April 2016. The role NBPU TIS Advisory Group will be to provide strategic recommendations to the NBPU TIS in relation to:
- evaluation and synthesis of the evidence supporting best practice in tobacco control and health promotion for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities
- the National Operational Guidelines for Tackling Indigenous Smoking (technical advice and guidance to relevant literature, review and interpretation of literature and emerging knowledge on tobacco reduction in different settings)
- effective engagement with grant recipients (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community controlled and other health services)
- the NBPU TIS meeting its objectives.
The NBPU TIS Advisory Group will provide a forum for:
- sharing information and addressing issues of concern across its members
- facilitating linkages, information sharing and communication relating to tobacco reduction in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- disseminating NBPU TIS information and advice.
Membership of the NBPU TIS Advisory Group will comprise of key members and will be chaired by NBPU Project Director, Rod Reeve.
Direct Ph: 08 8211 0430
Mob: 0491 217 151
General inquiries: email@example.com
Phone: 1800 282 624
Members of NBPU TIS Adelaide Team: L-R: Alicia Gigante (Communcations Officer), Kelly Franklin (Support Officer), Desley Thompson (Manager), Allan Miller (Liaison Officer), Cherelle Griffin (Support Officer).