About the programme
Mathematics, Science and Engineering (STEM) courses at the top Russell Group universities often ask for an A* in A-Level Mathematics. This programme offers tailored support to Year 12 students to assist them in achieving this grade in their A-Level Mathematics. During the programme participants will attend two masterclass events at Imperial and will take part in two 7-week MOOCs (Massive Open Online Course) which feature both teaching and assessments. Additionally, they will receive online mentoring alongside the MOOC to support them with their studies.
Who Can Apply?
This is a free programme which requires a commitment of around 2-3 hours a week. Participants are also expected to attend the two face-to-face masterclasses hosted at Imperial - the first opening masterclass we expect to be held on Saturday 11th January, the second on a weekend around the start of the Summer Term. The online course is self-paced and can be completed in your own time following our weekly programme schedule; the content is delivered in a variety of ways including videos, practice questions and assessments, covering a range of methods and applications.
We look forward to seeing applications from students with a passion for Mathematics who meet our application criteria.
You will need to meet the following requirements:
- You must currently be in Year 12.
- You are studying at least three A-levels including Mathematics.
- You have achieved eight GCSEs with a minimum of six GCSEs graded at 7-9 (or A/A* level), including Science and Mathematics.
- You are capable of achieving an A grade in A-level Mathematics, even if you may not feel certain of this.
- You are willing to travel to Imperial up to three times a year on scheduled weekend dates.
- You are planning to apply for university courses with a large mathematical component.
This programme aims to support students from backgrounds that are under-represented in higher education. We will use the data you provide to assess your eligibility for the programme.
We will ask questions to see if any of the following criteria apply to you:
- You are eligible for free school meals.
- Your family income is below £50,000/year.
- You have been in care or are a young carer.
- You are studying in a school in the UK that has below average attainment or with a high percentage of students receiving free school meals.
- Your parents do not have a university degree.
- You live in an area with low participation in Higher Education.
The programme is due to (provisionally) launch on Saturday 11th January 2019, when the first opening masterclass will be held at Imperial.
We look forward to hearing from you,
Applications for the Year 12 mA*ths Online Programme are now open and can be found via our webpage here.
The deadline for applying is 23:59 on Saturday 23rd November 2019.
Please note, we strongly encourage applications from students located outside of the London area due to the online accessibility of the programme, as well as those from under-represented BAME backgrounds.
Imperial Outreach Team