About the programme
Mathematics, Science and Engineering courses in the top Russell Group universities often ask for an A* in A Level Mathematics. This may lead to the following questions:
If you're a Year 12 A Level Mathematics teacher in a maintained school, particularly if some of your students are working with social disadvantage, Imperial College and MEI would like to invite you to join the mA*ths Online Programme: Teacher’s CPD. This is an online course which will also feature a closing conference on a Saturday in the Autumn term. The programme is free, and we can even support your travel to the conference.
- What is the best way to identify "A* potential" in students studying Mathematics?
- What can you do to support students aiming for the top grades?
- What resources for self-study and extension can you point them to?
The course is self-paced and can be completed in your own time, however we recommend following a 9-week programme (one week for unit 1 and two weeks for each of the remaining four units).
As well as answering the questions above, the course runs alongside material provided for our student MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) which brings new understanding to the more advanced A Level topics for students. Here, the units of the Teacher’s CPD will go through these topics and (via videos and explanations) will investigate:
- Aspects of the mathematical topics or pedagogical themes illustrated in the context of that topic,
- An approach to differentiating resources for a topic,
- Resources designed for the highest attainers,
- A closer look at some mathematical ideas related to questions from the student MOOC.
The course will launch on Tuesday 16th July 2019.
Applications for the course are now open and can be found here.
The deadline for applying is midnight on Tuesday 9th July 2019.
Please note, we strongly encourage applications from teachers who have students already registered on our Year 12 mA*ths Online Programme, as well as those who do not. The selection criteria for teachers to gain a place on the programme will consist of:
We look forward to hearing from you,
- You teaching Year 12 A Level Mathematics at a maintained school.
- Your school has below average attainment or has a high percentage of students receiving free school meals.
- You are working with students with a high social-economic disadvantage.
- You have a student(s) from your class on the mA*ths Online Programme.
Imperial Outreach Team