Cinderella is a little 11year Chihuahua who took it upon herself to unwrap, chew through a Tupperware container and consume an entire box of chocolate brownies overnight. Thankfully she had vomited a large portion of the brownies overnight but the owners rushed her in first thing in the morning when they discovered the chocolate explosion.
Cinderella is only 3.6kg and her toxic dose of chocolate had well and truly been consumed in the rich chocolate brownies. Chocolate toxicity causes tremors, arrhythmias of the heart and vomiting and is related to the amount of cocoa content (so dark is more toxic than milk and white chocolate is not toxic).
Cinderella had vomited so much her electrolytes (hydration) were unbalanced and she had to stay in hospital on a drip for several days - receiving oral activated charcoal to try and absorb the remaining theobromine and caffeine in her body.
Cinderella was severely bloated as well and required supportive intravenous fluids for a week whilst with us in hospital. Small meals were offered but it was not until day 4 and day 5 that she started to eat on her own accord - surprising - considering she usually has such a ravenous appetite.
Chocolate toxicity can happen so easily - and especially around the festive season when there are more treats lingering around. Be aware that even a small amount of chocolate can make your furry friends very sick and even fatal.
If in doubt - call us here at VetHQ and we can advise you on the best course of action. Symptoms to look out for post ingestion include: weakness, vomiting, muscle tremors, panting, restlessness and diarrhoea....which may escalate to seizures and death. Obviously if you are ever unsure - contact VetHQ 93261255 or our closest emergency centre after hours is at Eastside Vet Emergency.
Luckily - Cinderella has now made a fantastic recovery and is thriving back at home. We're not sure if she's learnt her lesson or if she'd do it all again in a heartbeat - but hoping that she steers clear of the cocoa treats!