ANAK Kapatid In-School Mentorship Program
1.5 hours/week plus In-Service Meetings and Training
Start date: October 23, 2014
Aksyon Ng Ating Kabataan (ANAK) Inc. is an incorporated non-profit organization comprised of concerned young Filipino-Canadian professionals and students. This organization has come together to help bridge the cultural, familial, and social gaps found both in and outside of the Filipino-Canadian community.
The word “anak” itself is Tagalog for “my child” or “son / daughter.” ANAK is comprised of the sons and daughters of Winnipeg’s early wave of Filipino-Canadian. It also represents a growing number of immigrant children and youth. We envision a future where all Filipino-Canadians have the opportunity to share, learn, and preserve their transnational culture and heritage through resource, education, and mentorship.
Description of Duties:
Skills / Traits Required:
- Provide academic support for newcomer Filipino-Canadian high school students
- Increase self awareness and address the issue of cultural identity for both the mentor and the mentee
- Foster positive relationship between first and second generation Filipino-Canadian youth
- Encourage active community participation
- Support youth to pursue higher education through the successful completion of secondary and post-secondary studies
Skills / Experience Gained:
- Must be of Filipino descent
- Have at least a high school diploma
- Complete all necessary legal requisites (Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check)
- Participate in an ANAK Cultural Orientation prior to becoming a mentor
- Learn more about your culture through experience with others
- Gain valuable work experience and a reference for employment
- Develop positive relationships with other community members
- Get a sense of personal accomplishment
Contact Daisydee Bautista at (204) 293-4100 or email@example.com
for a Mentor Application Form.