We're Making a Difference!
But there's more work to do - help us get the word out!
With one week to go before Election Day, numbers show Georgia could see a record turnout for early voters in a non-presidential year. We want to keep the momentum going, but we need your help! Please join our call tomorrow to learn what YOU can do to win key elections around the country!
They cry foul when we mention Ferguson!
But Ferguson is a stark reminder of what can happen when we ignore our civic duty!
Around the country, black voters are being mobilized to vote in the 2014 midterms with the argument that the death of Michael Brown resulted, in part, from lack of black civic participation. While the population of Ferguson is nearly 70 percent African American, only 6 percent cast a ballot in the last municipal elections. This led to a majority-black city where the mayor and five of six city councilpersons are white—and a police force that many see as rejecting standards of community policing and ignoring concerns of black residents. As the argument goes, Michael Brown may have been felled by a bullet in August, but the context around his death was created at the ballot box the year before.
We have our OWN Michael Brown's right here in Georgia. In September of this year, 29-year old Charles Smith was killed by a Savannah police officer while he was hand-cuffed behind his back in a police car. Voting to put the RIGHT people in government will ensure that these kinds of issues are addressed and more importantly prevented.
What Can I Do?
- Join us this Thursday October 29th, 2014 at 8:00pm EST for our GOTV Strategy Session
- Go to BlackWomenForObama.org for more information
Conference Line: 712.775.7031
Meeting ID: 237-867-608
But What Can I Do Right NOW?
- Go to http://www.blackwomenforobama.org and download the #NoVoteNoVoice campaign package
- Go to http://www.canivote.org for state-specific information on voter ID, important dates, and your voting status – encourage everyone else to as well!
- Social Media is our most powerful tool at this late date to drive awareness – post every day until November 4th, using the hashtag #NoVoteNoVoice
- Challenge your Facebook friends to ‘Take the Pledge’!