This recipe was kindly shared with us by Sam Canning from Cannings Free Range Butchers. Sam developed this recipe for all the pulled pork lovers out there.
The secret? A mixture of BBQ sauce, apple and select herbs and spices while cooking the meat slowly (to maximize flavour and tenderness).
Cooking Time: 6 hours
- 2.5 kg skinless, bone in, free range pork shoulder
- 1 x SpiceVince Coriander Zing Marinade
- 1 x handful of brown sugar
- 3 x apples, skin removed and grated
- 100-200 ml DL Jardines BBQ sauce
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 1 x spices of your choosing (e.g. dried chilli)
- 1 x knob of butter
To serve - Coleslaw and Brioche buns
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
2. Fry a whole tube of SpiceVine Coriander Zing marinade in a heavy cast iron pot with a knob of butter on the stove-top.
3. Rub the pork with brown sugar and any other spices you like, such as
4. Cook the coriander marinade and butter for five minutes before adding 500ml of free range chicken stock.
5. Add the seasoned pork shoulder to the pot and place the lid on.
6. Place in the oven for three hours.
7. Add the grated apples to the pot and mash/stir into the stock.
8. Place the pot back in the oven, lid on, and reduce the temperature to 120 degrees.
9. Cook for another three hours then remove from the oven.
10. Shred the pork with two forks and be sure to remove all bones.
11. Add 100-200 ml of DL Jardines BBQ sauce (or any other favourite BBQ sauce).
12. Keep shredding and mixing until the pulled pork looks sticky, saucy and delicious.
13. Serve with coleslaw and brioche buns for the full Sam Canningâ€™s BBQ Pulled
Pork Slider experience.
Thanks to Sam for sharing this delicious recipe with us. Sam Canning is the owner of Cannings Free Range Butchers. He's the butcher who loves animals. Sam opened his first Cannings in 2010 and as the name suggests only stocks 100% free range produce. Heâ€™s also a believer in local and sustainable produce. All products for his recipes can be found online at www.canningsfreerangebutchers.com.au