Grandparent and Special Friends' Day
Tuesday, Nov. 22, 1:00pm in the Arts and Innovation Center at Emerson
This is an annual opportunity for students to share everything they're learning with their grandparents and special friends, and to show them around school. Invitations have been mailed to grandparents (only sent if you indicated during enrollment/re-enrollment that you would like your grandparent to receive an invitation) and we look forward to seeing many next week.
+ Grandfriends' Day invitation and schedule
ESPO Bake Sale Food Alert, Food and Volunteers Needed
Tuesday, Nov. 22, in the Middle School Commons
Dear Emerson Community,
Did you know that 1 in 13 children in the U.S. have a food allergy?
In an effort to increase awareness of food allergies, to increase feelings of safety and inclusiveness, and to reduce the potential for some airborne allergens, this year’s ESPO Bake Sale organizers request your help in eliminating some of the most common allergens from the bake sale: peanuts and tree nuts. Please note that the Bake Sale will NOT be a “nut-free” or “allergen-free” event and should not be considered as such by parents of children with food allergies.
Homemade Bake Sale Items:
- Please do not use tree nuts or peanuts or other products derived from tree nuts or peanuts (e.g., any variety of nut flour, peanut or coconut oil, almond/nut extracts, etc.) in your baking. Tree nuts are considered to be: almonds, pecans, walnuts, Brazil nuts, chestnuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, pine nuts, pistachios, and coconuts.
- Please complete and include the attached ingredient list with your donated item(s) along with your contact information in case the Bake Sale Co-Chairs have questions.
- If you’re seeking recipes that avoid more of the most common allergens, please contact the Bake Sale Co-Chairs, Maria Bichakjian and Jeanne Cooper, or ESPO 7th grade representative Shani Horn for ideas.
Store Bought Bake Sale Items:
- Please only donate items that do not include tree nuts or peanuts in their list of ingredients.
- Please check the Sign Up Genius for some widely available items that you can donate that reduce the risk for children with allergies, such as: Skinny Pop popcorn, Cape Cod Potato Chips, Annie’s Organic Fruit Snacks, and all varieties of Enjoy Life cookies.
Bake for Your Own Child and Specialty Food Table:
The warmth and caring of the Emerson Community is one of its hallmarks. Thank you for supporting this effort to increase awareness and inclusiveness.
- As in prior years, parents of children with severe allergies may bring in items specifically for their children to purchase. Parents are asked to pre-package items for their children in a portion size comfortable for their family. These items will be kept on a separate table at the Bake Sale. Please clearly label items with the child’s name. If parents make a big batch and wish to have “extras” of these items sold, please be sure to complete the ingredient form.
- There will be store-bought, pre-packaged items, and possibly some homemade items, available at the specialty food table and throughout the Bake Sale that may meet the needs of some children with food allergies. Some of these items include: Skinny Pop, Cape Cod Potato Chips, Annie’s Organic Fruit Snacks, and Enjoy Life cookies.
Please contact Bake Sale Co-Chairs Jeanne Cooper or Maria Bichakjian with any questions.
Maria Bichakjian and Jeanne Cooper
Shani Horn, ESPO 7th grade representative
Elizabeth Caswell, ESPO Chair
Anja Lehmann, ESPO Co-Chair