Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
More than 400 people die each year from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Common symptoms include headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, weakness, chest pain and confusion. Although CO can’t be seen or smelled, poisoning is preventable. Follow these tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to keep your family safe:
- Never use a gas range to heat a home.
- Never leave the motor running in a vehicle parked in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as the garage.
- Never run a generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine inside a basement, garage, or other enclosed structure, even if the doors or windows are open, unless the equipment is professionally installed and vented. Keep vents and flues free of debris, especially if winds are high. Flying debris can block ventilation lines.
- Never run a motor vehicle, generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine less than 20 feet from an open window, door, or vent where exhaust can vent into an enclosed area.
- Never use a charcoal grill, hibachi, lantern, or portable camping stove inside a home, tent, or camper.
- If conditions are too hot or too cold, seek shelter with friends or at a community shelter.
- If CO poisoning is suspected, consult a health care professional right away.