Please Note: The time of this call has been updated and new presenters have been added.
You are cordially invited to join HUD Secretary Julián Castro, Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman, Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe, and Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner on the Mayors Challenge National Call to discuss your community’s commitment to end veteran homelessness. We welcome all Mayors, City Staff, Community Partners and Stakeholders to join us.
Date: Wednesday, December 9, 2015
*New* Time: 1:45 – 2:45 PM EST
Call-in: (800) 288-8967
If you have any questions, please email MayorsChallenge@hud.gov.
Notes from November’s National Call with Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Secretary Robert McDonald:
- How can we recruit landlords in high priced real estate markets to accept HUD-Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) vouchers and close the housing gap for our veterans?
- Public Housing Agencies (PHAs) may apply for Exception Payment Standards that allow them to offer up to 110 percent fair market rate (FMR) for affordable housing. Check with your local PHA to find out if a request has been submitted.
- It may also be helpful to appeal directly to landlords to “house our veterans.” Several cities have been successful with this targeted outreach.
- Will more HUD-VASH vouchers be made available?
- Increased funds for HUD-VASH vouchers have been requested in the FY 2016 proposed budget; however the final appropriation is pending congressional approval.
- How do you mitigate the federal program eligibility gap for housing chronically homeless veterans who have been dishonorably discharged?
- PHA programs do not restrict eligibility based on a veteran’s discharge status. Some PHAs have created special “Veteran Preferences” to prioritize housing homeless veterans, as stated in the PHA Guidebook to Ending Homelessness. It may be helpful to work with your local housing authority to establish a similar classification.
- Continuums of Care (CoCs) should prioritize permanent supportive housing in cases of chronic homelessness where veterans are not eligible for HUD-VASH.
If you have specific questions that have not been answered please feel free to contact your local HUD office or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mayors Challenge
View HUD and U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness (USICH) Regional Contact Information.