HUD's Office of Special Needs Assistance Programs (SNAPs) and Office of HIV/AIDS Housing (OHH) are pleased to announce the availability of the recently recorded ‘Hear from Your Peers’ webinar. This webinar focuses on the strong bonds forged between HUD-funded housing and service programs, as well as mainstream resources and benefits, to ensure U.S. military veterans successfully receive and maintain housing. It also provides information about Veterans Affairs and locally-funded healthcare services, such as targeted case management, and substance and mental health treatment.
You can listen to peer leaders offering firsthand knowledge on how two innovative communities - Las Vegas/Clark County, NV and Seattle/King County, WA - have developed cross-systems partnerships to assist homeless and at-risk veterans with effectively accessing the housing, supportive services and healthcare resources they need. Discussants describe the approaches taken in their community to assure that all veterans are able to benefit from these resources, including permanent supportive housing. he webinar can be viewed on the course page here: Spotlighting Two Communities that are Successfully Coordinating Healthcare and Housing Resources to End Veteran Homelessness - A "Hear from Your Peers" Webinar.
- Roula K. Sweis, M.A., Psy.D., Supervisory Program Advisor, HUD’s Office of the Assistant Secretary, Community Planning and Development - Opening Remarks
- Katy Miller, Regional Coordinator, USICH - Overview and Introductions
- Dr. Cynthia Dodge, Director of the VA’s Community Resource and Referral Center (CRRC) for southern Nevada
- Michele Fuller-Hallauer, Continuum of Care Coordinator, Clark County Department of Social Services
- Annamaria Gueco, Supportive Housing Department Manager, Sound Mental Health, King County, WA
- Lisa Farsje,Substance Use Disorder Specialist, VA Supported Housing, VA Puget Sound Healthcare System
Participants will learn:
- How a VA resource center and the Continuum of Care’s homeless coordinated entry system have integrated their processes and programming to target homeless veterans and help assure that they are aware of, and directed to, all the VA, community-based and SSI/ Medicaid resources for which they are eligible.
- Successful strategies for delivering mental health and substance use treatment, as well as coordinating other support services needed by formerly homeless veterans in permanent supportive housing.
- Innovative strategies and approaches to community-wide collaborations to move chronically homeless veterans off the streets and into long-term, appropriate housing and healthcare services.
- The personal story of one PSH resident who successfully negotiated this transition.
Watch the Webinar
Click the video to play the Spotlighting Two Communities that are Successfully Coordinating Healthcare and Housing Resources to End Veteran Homelessness - A "Hear from Your Peers" Webinar.
View Related Materials
Webinar slides are available to view.
This webinar is part of a series of webinars being developed through HUD's Healthcare and Housing (H²) TA initiative. Sign up for ‘ACA’ in the HUD Exchange Mailing List
to learn about future webinars.