HUD's Office of Special Needs Assistance Programs (SNAPs) and Office of HIV/AIDS Housing (OHH), are pleased to announce the availability of a recently recorded webinar focused on strategies for supporting clients to effectively utilize the healthcare system. Originally presented live on June 24, 2015, this webinar builds on the resources and information highlighted in the preceding webinar, “Strategies for Enrolling People Experiencing Homelessness in Healthcare Insurance,” which was aired in February. Participants will have the opportunity to listen to national leaders offering firsthand knowledge and information on how to assist low-income clients who are newly enrolled in Medicaid or other health insurance options and living with HIV/AIDS, experiencing homelessness and/or are formerly homeless to develop resilient relationships with health homes, community health centers or primary care providers, reduce health disparities and increase their health and wellbeing.
- Roula K. Sweis, M.A., Psy.D., Supervisory Program Advisor, HUD’s Office of the Assistant Secretary, Community Planning and Development - Opening Remarks
- Dr. Cara James, Director, Office of Minority Health at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services - Presentation of the “From Coverage to Care” (C2C) toolkit developed to support newly insured adults with effectively utilizing the healthcare now available to them
- Kim Nettleton, Product Development - Capabilities, UnitedHealthcare Community & State – Presentation of a white paper describing the operating environment for Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) and their motivations and incentives for forging stronger links with community-based housing and service providers
- Jessie Beebe, Health Services Specialist, Center for Housing and Health, AIDS Foundation of Chicago - Presentation of lessons learned and best practices in establishing and maintaining healthcare access for more than two hundred newly enrolled extremely low-income Medicaid recipients in the Chicago area
Webinar participants will:
- Receive an introduction to the “From Coverage to Care” (C2C) toolkit developed expressly by CMS’s Office of Minority Health for the purpose of supporting newly insured adults to effectively utilizing the range of healthcare opportunities now available to them.
- Learn successful strategies for encouraging homeless and HIV/AIDS housing and service providers to make assuring clients’ strong and lasting connections to health homes/primary care providers a top priority in their program outcomes.
- Hear first-hand from two communities, one urban and one rural/ex-urban, regarding how they are facilitating clients healthcare access and follow-through.
- Review successful strategies for forging system-level links with a range of community-based services to support clients’ ongoing engagement in medical and behavioral healthcare.
To view the webinar go to: Strategies to Support Homeless or at-Risk Clients with Effectively Using the Healthcare System.
This webinar is part of a series of webinars being developed through HUD's Healthcare and Housing (H²) TA initiative. Sign up for the HUD Exchange Mailing List to learn about future webinars.