Please join HUD Secretary Julián Castro, San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, and U.S. Chamber of Commerce Vice President Raymond Towle for a discussion on engaging and partnering with the business community in efforts to end veteran homelessness. We welcome all mayors, city staff, community partners, and stakeholders to join us.
Date: Thursday, October 20, 2016
Time: 2:00 - 2:45 PM EDT
RSVP: AT&T Audio Conferencing web page (Conference ID: 404322)
If you have any questions, please email MayorsChallenge@hud.gov.
Notes from the September 28th Call: Tight Rental Markets
Replay Number: 800-475-6701 | Code: 402942
- Communities across the country continue to face tight rental markets for affordable units, including for Veterans with vouchers in hand. Those with high cost markets in general can face even more obstacles.
- There is an overall need for additional affordable housing to be made available. Voucher subsidies can only go so far.
- Partnerships will be key to address the various challenges (opportunity for examples: landlord fairs, risk mitigation funds, etc.)
- Partnering with landlords is one strategy to support securing additional units, and mayors and other local leaders can play a key role in ensuring landlords in their communities are aware of the opportunities to rent to veterans and of the resources available to support them as landlords.
- Engaging managers and developers to dedicate units and build additional affordable housing is an additional crucial strategy.
- It will take leadership and prioritization of this work by mayors and other local leaders to ensure every veteran has a safe, stable place to call home.