HUD Environmental Review Online System (HEROS) is a web-based system for Responsible Entities (REs) to prepare and manage their Environmental Review Records (ERR). HEROS applies to all environmental reviews for HUD-assisted projects. The latest version of the HEROS User Guide as well as HEROS Quick Guides are now available.
Since the August 2016 HEROS User Guide update, HUD has issued five HEROS system updates and these releases have introduced new features and modifications to HEROS. The HEROS User Guide is updated to reflect changes on the following topics from the HEROS 11.14 release:
- Implementation of the Partner User Roles:
- Implemented the Partner User role to allow partners to access HEROS and assist HUD and Responsible Entities with the preparation of environmental reviews. These partners include consultants, contractors, public housing authorities, nonprofits, applicants, lenders, third-party providers, and others.
- Provided additional guidance on the role of the Partner Users.
- Addition of the Assign Review Features:
- Added the Assign Review feature to HEROS. Each environmental review is only assigned to one user, and only that assigned user can edit the review. Guidance is provided for assigning or reassigning reviews to other HEROS users, including HUD staff.
- Modification of the New Request for Release of Funds (RROF) and Authority to Use Grant Funds (AUGF) Screens:
- HUD modified the way Responsible Entities submit the 7015.15 RROF in HEROS. Previously, after completing the 7015.15 RROF screen in HEROS or uploading the paper-based 7015.15 RROF form, RE users would enter the email address of the HUD representative to whom they intended to submit the 7015.15 RROF. The email feature has since been replaced with the Assign Review feature.
- Changes have also been made to how HUD users submit the 7015.16 AUGF to REs. This version of the HEROS User Guide provides guidance on both modifications.
HUD anticipates the release of HEROS version 11.18 in August 2019.
For more information and resources, visit the HEROS page on the HUD Exchange.