RURAL GATEWAY PEER-TO-PEER CONFERENCE CALL
Creating Sustainable Communities in Rural America:
A Discussion of Best Practices
Date: July 7, 2015
Time: 2:00 p.m. EDT
The Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development (ORHED) invites you to take part in our next Peer-to-Peer conference call. Scheduled for July 7, 2015, this call will offer participants the opportunity to learn about available activities through the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s mission is to protect human health and the environment. EPA works extensively with state and local governments, and community based organizations in Rural America to help address local environmental challenges and concerns. Through technical and financial assistance, EPA helps to build the capacity of communities to develop and implement solutions to issues of brownfield redevelopment, environmental justice, smart growth, and green infrastructure. This is an opportunity to learn more about how EPA programs and activities can help your small town or rural community tackle environmental challenges and create opportunities for growth, development and investment.
Leaders of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will share their knowledge of successfully implementing activities that have expanded and created opportunities for those living in Rural America. Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions about best practices and establish contacts for future reference.
Join HUD’s Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development (ORHED) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency staff as we engage rural community leaders in this open forum on opportunities available through EPA. Speakers will include:
- Valerie G. Piper, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Economic Development, Community Planning and Development, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Jackie L. Williams, Ph.D., Moderator, Director, Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development, Community Planning and Development, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Ed Fendley, Program Manager, Local Foods/Local Places, Office of Sustainable Communities, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Suzi Ruhl, Attorney-Advisor, Office of Environmental Justice, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Steven McNeely, Environmental Protection Specialist, Cleanup and Revitalization Division, Office of Underground Storage Tanks, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Aimee Storm, Program Manager, Brownfields Area-Wide Planning Program, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Topics to be discussed
- Funding and technical assistance opportunities at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Public and Private sources of funding to carry out projects
- Best practices and lessons-learned
Format of the call
Call-in instructions and additional materials will be emailed to participants on July 6, 2015. The 60 minute call will include presentations and a Q&A session
Please RSVP by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than close of business on July 2, 2015. Please include your name and organization.
If you have any questions, please call 1-877-RURAL-26 (1-877-787-2526).