The U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness (USICH) and its partners at the Social Security Administration (SSA), the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) are pleased to release Key Strategies for Connecting People Experiencing Homelessness to Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) Benefits.
This document is intended to improve practices and collaboration among SSA field offices, VA Medical Center staff, organizations and agencies that provide services to people experiencing homelessness, and other community-based partners. The strategies focus on assisting individuals experiencing homelessness with the initial disability application and medical determination process.
Key strategies include:
- Assisting People Experiencing Homelessness with the SSI/SSDI Application Process
- Coordinating with SSA Field Offices, Community Organizations, and Other Federal Agencies
- Coordinating with Other Benefits and Entitlements
- Working with Veterans and Other Special Populations
- Assisting SSI/SSDI Beneficiaries Post-Entitlement