Rural Gateway Peer-to-Peer Conference Call
The State of Rural America
Date: September 20, 2017
Time: 2:00 - 3:00 PM EDT
The Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development (ORHED) invites you to take part in our next Peer-to-Peer conference call. Scheduled for September 20, 2017, this call will offer participants the opportunity to learn more about current conditions and trends in Rural America through the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Economic Research Service (ERS).
The ERS at the USDA's mission is to inform and enhance public and private decision making on economic and policy issues related to agriculture, food, the environment, and rural development. Activities to support this mission involve a comprehensive program of economic research and analysis, including development of economic and statistical indicators, on a broad range of topics spanning the four goal areas of USDA:
- Assist rural communities to create prosperity so they are self-sustaining, repopulating, and economically thriving;
- Ensure that national forests and private working lands are conserved, restored, and made more resilient to climate change, while enhancing water resources;
- Help America promote agricultural production and biotechnology exports as America works to increase food security;
- Ensure that all of America's children have access to safe, nutritious, and balanced meals.
USDA works extensively with state and local governments and community based organizations in Rural America to help address local agricultural challenges and concerns. Through technical and financial assistance, USDA helps to build the capacity of rural communities to develop and implement solutions.
Leadership from the ERS at the USDA will share information on economic analysis of rural areas. Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions and establish contacts for future reference.
Join HUD's Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development and leadership from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Economic Research Service staff as we engage rural community leaders in this open forum on current rural conditions. Speakers will include:
- Jackie L. Williams, Ph.D., Moderator, Director, Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development, Community Planning and Development, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development; and
- John Pender, Economist, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service
Topics to be discussed
- Rural (vs. urban) population and housing affordability trends
- Rural (vs. urban) labor markets and poverty trends
- Rural (vs. urban) education trends
- Rural population and poverty trends by county economic type (industry specialization)
Format of the call
Please RSVP by email to email@example.com no later than close of business on September 18, 2017. Please include your name and organization.
Call-in instructions and additional materials will be emailed to participants on September 19, 2017. The 60 minute call will include presentations and a Q&A session.
If you have any questions, please call 1-877-RURAL-26 (1-877-787-2526).