U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development
RURAL GATEWAY PEER-TO-PEER CONFERENCE CALL
The State of Education in Rural America
A Discussion of Best Practices:
Date: March 26, 2015
Time: 2:00 p.m. EDT
The Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development (ORHED) invites you to take part in our next Peer-to-Peer conference call. Scheduled for March 26, 2015, this call will offer participants the opportunity to learn about available activities through the U.S. Department of Education (ED).
The U.S. Department of Education’s mission is to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access. The Department was created in 1980 by combining offices from several federal agencies. The U.S. Department of Education is dedicated to ensuring that policies on federal financial aid for education are established, and distributing as well as monitoring those funds, collecting data on America's schools and disseminating research, focusing national attention on key educational issues, and prohibiting discrimination and ensuring equal access to education.
Leaders of the U.S. Department of Education will share their knowledge of successfully implementing activities that have expanded and created opportunities for those living in Rural America. Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions about best practices, discuss the challenges of developing educational programs within rural communities and establish contacts for future reference.
Join HUD’s Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development (ORHED) and the U.S. Department of Education staff as we engage rural community leaders in this open forum on opportunities available through ED. Speakers will include:
Topics to be discussed
- Valerie G. Piper, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Economic Development, Community Planning and Development, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development;
- Jackie L. Williams, Ph.D., Moderator, Director, Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development, Community Planning and Development, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development;
- Lucy Johnson, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Rural Outreach, Office of Communications and Outreach, U.S. Department of Education;
- Dennis Bega, Director of Regional Offices, Office of Communications and Outreach, U.S. Department of Education;
- Eric Schulz, Acting Team Leader of Rural Programs, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education;
- Lisa Ramirez, Acting Director of School Support in Rural Programs, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education.
Format of the call
- Funding opportunities at the U.S. Department of Education
- Performance Outcomes
- Public and Private sources of funding to carry out projects
- Best practices and lessons-learned
Call-in instructions and additional materials will be emailed to participants on Wednesday, March 25, 2015. The 60 minute call will include presentations and a Q&A session.
Please RSVP by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than close of business on Tuesday, March 24, 2015. Please include your name and organization.
If you have any questions, please call 1-877-RURAL-26 (1-877-787-2526).