On December 4th, HUD released the Final Rule on Defining “Chronically Homeless”. The definition goes into effect on January 4, 2016 and HUD expects all providers operating Permanent Supportive Housing dedicated or prioritized to individuals and families experiencing chronic homelessness to use this definition for all new persons admitted to the program after January 15, 2016. To ensure that all communities and stakeholders understand the new definition and associated recordkeeping requirements and are provided an opportunity to ask questions, HUD is hosting six webinars in January. Each webinar will cover the same information.
Presenters will include Marcy Thompson, Senior Advisor to the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Special Needs, and Brett Gagnon, Senior SNAPS Specialist in the Office of Special Needs Assistance Programs. Webinar participants will learn about the following:
- A history of the definition of chronically homeless and the rationale for the changes implemented in the Final Rule
- The final definition of chronically homeless, including a highlight of the major changes
- Associated recordkeeping requirements for the documentation of chronic homelessness
Who Should Attend?
The intended audience is CoC leadership, CoC recipients, and any other stakeholders that wish to learn about the new definition. Each webinar time is targeted toward certain regions and is limited to 1,000 participants. However, you may register for a webinar that is not in your region. Registration instructions are provided below. Please be sure to read the instructions carefully. Because registration is limited, we ask that you only register for one. The content of each webinar will be identical. For information about what region you are in please consult the map of HUD Regions. The times were established to accommodate the most people and are as follows:
January 5th, 2:00 PM EST – Region 10
January 6th, 4:00 PM EST – Region 9
January 7th, 10:00 AM EST – Region 3
January 12th, 1:00 PM EST – Regions 4 and 6
January 13th, 1:00 PM EST – Regions 1 and 2
January 14th, 1:00 PM EST – Regions 5, 7, and 8
To find out more information about upcoming trainings and access materials from previously held trainings, go to HUD Exchange Training and Events.
Registering for a Defining “Chronically Homeless” Final Rule Webinar
To access the registration page, please follow the instructions below carefully.
If you have a HUD Exchange Account:
- Go to the Defining “Chronically Homeless” Final Rule Webinar webpage.
- Select the Register Now button next to the appropriate regional date and time.
If you are logged into your HUD Exchange account, you will be directed to HUD Exchange Learn. If you are not logged in, you will be asked to log in before being directed to HUD Exchange Learn
- Select the Class, under Scheduled Classes
- Select the Enroll button
- On the next screen, in the Activities section, Select the Launch button; you will be directed to a registration form.
- Complete the registration form and click Register. You will receive an email with instructions for joining the webinar. Please do not share the link you receive, as this link is unique to you
If you do not already have a HUD Exchange Account:
- Go to the HUD Exchange Account Registration Page.
- Fill out the Personal Information and Login Information sections.
- Click the Create an Account button at the bottom of the page to create your HUD Exchange account.
Your account has been created. Please proceed with registration instructions for “If you have a HUD Exchange Account”.