Rural Gateway Peer-To-Peer Conference Call
U.S. Department of Agriculture - Rural Development’s Cooperative Development and Local Food Financing:
A Discussion of Best Practices
Date: April 28, 2016
Time: 2:00 p.m. EDT
The Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development (ORHED) invites you to take part in our next Peer-To-Peer conference call. Scheduled for April 28, 2016, this call will offer participants the opportunity to learn about available activities through the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Rural Development agency (USDA-RD).
USDA-RD’s mission is to help improve the economy and quality of life in rural America. They offer loans, grants, and loan guarantees to support essential services such as housing, economic development, health care, first responder services and equipment, water, electricity, and communications infrastructure. They also offer technical assistance and information to help agricultural producers and cooperatives get started and improve the effectiveness of their operations.
Leaders of the U.S. Department of Agriculture - Rural Development (USDA-RD) will share their knowledge of successfully implementing activities that have expanded and created opportunities for those living in rural communities, with a focus on strategies to expand the development of cooperatives and local food systems. Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions about best practices and establish contacts for future reference.
Join HUD’s Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development (ORHED) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture-RD staff as we engage rural community leaders in this open forum on opportunities available through USDA. Speakers will include:
- Valerie G. Piper, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Economic Development, Community Planning and Development, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development;
- Jackie L. Williams, Ph.D., Moderator, Director, Office of Rural Housing and Economic Development, Community Planning and Development, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development;
- James Barham, Ph.D., Agricultural Economist and Food Systems Specialist, USDA Rural Development; and
- Margaret Bau, Cooperative Development Specialist, USDA Rural Development
Topics to be discussed
- Funding opportunities at the U.S. Department of Agriculture-Rural Development
- Public and private sources of funding to carry out projects
- Best practices and lessons-learned
Format of the call
Call-in instructions and additional materials will be emailed to participants on April 27, 2016. The 60 minute call will include presentations and a Q&A session.
Please RSVP by email to email@example.com no later than close of business on April 26, 2016. Please include your name and organization.
If you have any questions, please call 1-877-RURAL-26 (1-877-787-2526).