Top 10 CAMP social activities
By Allison Engel, JAWS member, and Donna Myrow, JAWS board member
The Conference and Mentoring Project (CAMP) is right around the corner and two local JAWdesses, Allison Engel and Donna Myrow, suggest a few fun outings.
1. Cabazon: Desert Hills Premium Outlets â€“ Only 20 minutes west of Palm Springs, this desert shopping oasis for fashion, houseware, other items, in a relaxed, open-air environment. (951) 922-3000.
2. The Shops on El Paseo: Palm Desert's premier luxury destination. Designer boutiques and restaurants (Saks Fifth Avenue, Apple, etc.). Between Highway 74 and Sage Ln., Palm Springs. (760) 341-4058.
3. Smoke Tree Stables: All you cowgirls saddle up for a desert ride. Hourly private and group rates. 2500 Toledo Ave., Palm Springs. (760) 327-1372.
4. Shields Date Garden: Only a few minutes east of La Quinta for a fabulous date shake and watch the amazing film, "Romance and Sex Life of the Date." 80225 Highway 111, Indio. (760) 347-0996.
5. Jeep Tours: Ride in comfort to San Andreas Fault, Indian Canyons, Joshua Tree National Park with Desert Adventures Eco-Tours. Palm Desert. (760) 324-5337.
6. Palm Springs Aerial Tramway: Travel aboard the world's largest rotating tram cars from the desert floor to a 14,000-acre alpine forest. (760) 325-1449.
7. Vintage fashion: Amazing vintage clothing store in Palm Desert on Highway 111. It's called The Fine Art of Design and the young owner, Nicholas Delgado, has great taste. Everything is clean and well-displayed. Top quality items. 73717 Highway 111, Palm Desert. (760) 565-7388.
8. Are you hungry after the workshops and speakers? â€“ Musashi is an excellent family-run sushi restaurant in Palm Desert at 72785 Highway 111, Palm Desert. Try the cucumber-wrapped roll with salmon or tuna, the Mushashi roll or tuna carpaccio. First quality-fish, carefully prepared. (760) 340-9780.
Mimmo's, a family-run Italian restaurant at 73540 Highway 111 in Palm Desert is a white-tablecloth place, but casual, and the food is homemade. Reasonable prices. (760) 346-9712.
9. Palm Springs Modern Tours: Palm Springs Modern Tours is led by Robert Imber, an architectural historian and real expert on mid-century modernism. Robert used to do Segway tours, but also does them via van. He's a wealth of information! (760) 318-6118.
10. Sunnylands Center & Gardens: Historic Annenberg estate. Tours, education center, art. Free admission to Center & Gardens, tickets required for estate tours. (760) 202-2222.