Some Dates to Know
- Mentoring Plans Deadline to Submit
- Deadline to Submit Mentor Bio and Picture for The Chronicle
- Proposal Workshop for New Students
- Deadline to Submit Nominations for Outstanding Undergraduate Researcher
- RSVP Deadline for 2/25 Mentors' Meeting
- PRISM Sponsored Lecture - Pathologist and Lab Tours for CJA Students
- Toxicology Lecture - Dr. Marta Concheiro-Guisan
- Spring Research Proposals Deadline
- Mentors' Meeting with Guest Speaker
- Workshop - "Components of Scientific Writing"
- PRISM Outing - 92nd St Y Lecture
- PRISM Symposium
We emailed you a couple of weeks ago with a reminder about these quickly approaching deadlines:
- Jan 30: Mentoring Plans - These are due today! Please submit ASAP to Eric if you haven’t already done so.
- Feb 6: Faculty Chronicle profiles and pictures
- Feb 15: Nominations for Outstanding Undergraduate Researcher
- Feb 16: Request for Proposals for Equipment - Up to $300,000 available
- Feb 25: Student Spring Proposals – Electronic version only (mentor-signed paper copy due after reviews)
The last PRISM newsletter from December included details and submission instructions with links to associated documents. Please click here
if you need a copy of that newsletter.
Upcoming Events and Lectures
There is no official PRISM monthly meeting for students for February, but there are several sponsored events and we ask you to encourage student attendance:
February 11, 1:30 – 2:45 p.m.:
PRISM’s proposal writing workshop. All students planning to submit a proposal for the first time this semester should attend unless they have attended a previous one.
February 23, 4 – 5 p.m.:
PRISM alumna, Dr. Melissa Guzzetta will visit to speak about her journey to become a pathologist who performs autopsies.
February 24, 4 – 5 p.m.:
Prof. Mecki Prinz organizes a lecture series each semester. The first of these lectures will be given by new JJC professor, Dr. Marta Concheiro-Guisan, titled “Toxicology Research on Drugs and Traffic Safety.” All are welcome. No RSVP needed. For a schedule of all the lectures in this series, click here
February 26, 1:40 – 3 p.m.:
PRISM-recommended workshop on “The Components of Scientific Writing.” Dr. Diane Hardej, Professor at St. John’s University will give tips to help students with their scientific writing endeavors, which may include lab reports, proposals, or even research papers to be submitted for publication.
March 1, 7:30 – 10 p.m.:
PRISM sponsored outing to the 92nd
St Y for their lecture on the “The Neuroscience of Creativity.” There will be limited tickets available for this event.
Students will receive event details by email and in some cases, by posted flyer. For a sneak peak at all of the currently scheduled or sponsored PRISM events for the spring semester, click here to view our events calendar
Mentors' Meeting with Guest Speaker - Feb 25
Please recall that we will be having our next mentors’ meeting on February 25, 2015 during community hour in room 05.66.01. We will be joined by Dr. Joel Oppenheim, Professor Emeritus of Microbiology at NYU Sackler Institute, to discuss the role of mentoring in STEM education. A more official invitation with final details will be sent next week, but please RSVP to Ed
by February 18 so that we can plan accordingly.