Come to Hanford Mills Museum on Saturday, May 30 to enjoy a new spring festival celebrating the ingenuity and creativity of the past and present. The Build-Fix-Grow Festival
also highlights ways people build connections and vibrant communities. Featured exhibits include:
- the Otsego 4H FIRST Robotics Team “RoboKronos”
- Oneonta World of Learning
- Delaware County Historical Association
- Transition Catskills demonstrating how to make a pizza garden
- Gilson’s Native American Crafts
- Promisedland Farm
- Meadow Brook Maple
- Bernd Krause and his handmade mountain dulcimers
- Hands-on activities for kids, including creating wood sculptures and objects, experimenting with gears, and playing historic games
From noon to 3 pm, local authors will read from their work, and participate in a question and answer session, emceed by local author and radio personality Chuck “Big Chuck” D’Imperio. Authors include:
- Mermer Blakeslee (When You Live by a River, In Dark Water, A Conversation with Fear)
- Chuck D’Imperio (A Taste of Upstate New York, Unknown Museums of Upstate New York, Monumental New York)
- Cynthia G. Falk (Barns of New York: Rural Architecture of the Empire State)
- April L. Ford (The Poor Children)
- Ginnah Howard (Night Navigation, Doing Time Outside, and Rope & Bone)
- Marty Podskoch (Fire Towers of the Catskills: Their History and Lore, Adirondack Stories)
- Marly Youmans (Glimmerglass, Thaliad, A Death at the White Camellia Orphanage)
The Gravelyard Bluegrass Band will perform from noon to 4 pm, and Tickled Pink BBQ will be selling lunch and snack items. Picnic tables are available on site.
Visitors can tour the historic sawmill, gristmill and woodworking shop, and see water-powered machines operating just as they did a century ago.
Festival is Included with regular admission. Kids 12 and under, Museum members, and Active Duty Military and their families receive free admission.
Also on Saturday, May 30, we'll be offering the first Cooking with the Royal Bride workshop of the season. Learn the basics of cooking with wood on the Hanford House kitchen’s Royal Bride cook stove. Discounted fee for Museum members.
The workshop runs 9:30 am - 2:30 pm. Register by 5/23...