WNYC Circa 1940
"The floors are covered with heavy battleship linoleum inlaid with attractive modernistic designs. Lighting is indirect and all studios are air-conditioned. Decorative motif is gay blues, warm browns and soft grays with trim of silver and ebony. In some of the studios and corridors there are several murals by artists who did the work under the direction of the Federal Arts Projects of the Works Progress Administration. The central foyer, from which the studios and corridors radiate, is pentagonal in shape, with its five walls covered by an enormous panoramic photograph of the skyline of New York City taken from the tower of the Municipal Building.
A circular map of the city graces the center of the floor, with each of the five boroughs outlined in linoleum of a different color. Corridors leading to the executive and other offices are beautifully paneled with walnut and mahogany. The spacious audience chamber which serves both Studio A and Studio B is paneled with walnut. The larger studios are all equipped with Steinway grand pianos and in addition, Studio A has an upright piano with a harpsichord of foreign manufacture..."
Source: An unpublished WPA History of WNYC.
Editor's note: The facility described here was the result of a major renovation completed in October, 1937 under the federal WPA. Aside from equipment upgrades in 1929, the staff had been working in the original 1924 facilities up to that point.