Dear <<First Name>>,
Because of the current Lock down our AGM was held successfully online via Zoom.
The following Officers were elected:
Chair: Sue, Treasurer: Liesbeth, Minutes Secretary: Richard, Secretary: Sue, Media officer: Vacant but Sue to cover, Social media officer: Vacant, School speaker: Vacant.
We are still short of volunteers to help run the group, including for secretary, publicity and social media roles so If you could help, please get in touch on email with firstname.lastname@example.org
Sub Group Reports
- LGBTI (Richard): Event about Hong Kong organised for History Month. Stalls at Queen in Shorts monthly film night held and money collected for the Russian LGBT History Network.
- Palestine/Israel (Pam): Publicised AIUK’s joint statement on the released UN database of businesses operating in illegal Israeli settlements and made a call for the international community to support the ICC’s intent to investigate possible war crimes in the IOPT area. Actions carried out for Mustafa al-Kharouf (statelessness), Ubai Aboudi (Admin Detention) and for Laith Abu Zayed (AI staff in Ramallah). Talk organised for 14 May (see Upcoming Talks).
- Stop Torture/Truth for Giulio (Sue): Group closed due to lack of members. But more than 100 people attended a vigil on 25 Jan to mark the anniversary of Giulio Regeni’s death, including Daniel Zeichner, university tutors etc. A demo was held outside the Egyptian Embassy on 1 Feb. Actions carried out for Aser Mohmed and Azza Soliman, Ali Arrass and Ibrahim Ezz El-Din from Egypt (cards for Azza available from Sue). Ali Arrass now freed, hoorah!
- Book Group: Tues 21 April, “The Good Earth” by Pearl Buck, 7.30 pm via Zoom.
Saturday Stalls in Market Square for 2020
- 19 May - International Day against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia – Presumed cancelled.
- 27 June - International day for victims of torture – Sue to organise.
- 10 Oct - World Day against the death penalty – Sue to organise.
- 5 Dec - Write for Rights and Human Rights Day.
Peter Frankental will speak on "Should companies steer clear of Israeli settlements in Occupied Palestinian Territory?"
on Thursday 14 May 2020 at 7.30pm online via Zoom.
For this talk Peter Frankental, Amnesty's Economics Related Programme Director, will speak about whether companies can respect human rights while doing business with Israeli settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT) which are illegal under international law.
Further Talks include:-
We hope you will join us. It is possible that the coronavirus will still be with us for quite a while so these talks may be online too. For details contact me on email: email@example.com.
Sue Woodsford, Chair
Cambridge City Amnesty Group