Hello SeasonWatch supporter,
SeasonWatch invites you to watch some very special trees this December, the month of shedding leaves and emerging flowers. This is our first monthly challenge and the goal is to make as many observations as possible on six Species of the Month. These species are:
1. Indian laburnum, Cassia fistula
2. Indian almond, Terminalia catappa
3. Flame of the forest, Butea monosperma
4. Red silk cotton, Bombax ceiba
5. Himalayan cherry, Prunus cerasoides
6. Pear, Pyrus pyrifolia
The above list represents a combination of widespread species as well as two, the Himalayan cherry and the Pear, expected largely from various states in the Himalayan region.
Here are some tips to help you participate in this event.
I. Register if you are a new user
Install SeasonWatch android app from Google Play and register if you are new to SeasonWatch. OR, register at www.seasonwatch.in and login to your account.
II. Upload observations on trees
You can participate as an individual, school, college or other group, go outdoors anytime during December, find a tree you want to observe and login. To add an observation using the app-
- Click on LOGIN or START
- Once logged-in, you can add a 'Regular' or 'Casual' observation by clicking on corresponding tab. For a regular observation, add a tree by clicking on the plus or '⊕' button. For a casual observation, click on the blue eye button. These will direct you to select the tree species - you can search by common names or scientific names. Select any species of the month, and proceed to location.
- Ensure that your GPS/ Location services are on! Please zoom in at level 15.0 or more to proceed. Select your tree's location using the red bubble pointer.
- Record the quantity of leaves, flowers and fruits on the tree. For example, if you don't see fresh leaves, select 'None' under the Fresh Leaves icon. If 1/3rd or less of the tree canopy has fresh leaves, select 'Few' and if more than 1/3rd has fresh leaves, select 'Many'. Repeat for mature and dying leaves, buds and open flowers, ripe and unripe fruits. You will need to report all of these for a regular observation or at least one of these for a casual observation to be able to proceed
- Select observation date, report unusual or interesting things about your tree under 'notes' (this is optional) and then click on SAVE
- Can't use an android phone? Login to your account at www.seasonwatch.in and follow steps to add information about your chosen tree.
Check out events page on details of this challenge and to watch tutorials on how to add observations.
III. Participate in the challenge
To participate you can observe trees belonging to Species of the Month, either regularly or casually as follows:
- Casual observations on 20 or more different trees of one or more of the Species of the Month, and/or
- Regular observations in 4 consecutive weeks of December on a registered tree of one or more of the Species of the Month
IV. Track your observations
If you are curious about who is participating, what trees are being observed and from where, you can get live stats on trees and users here. Updates will go live at 6 am on 1 December 2019. You can also see the most recently uploaded observations and most recent observers.
V. Share your experience with everyone
If you are on social media, please do post pictures of your trees and of your group looking at trees on our pages (Facebook, Twitter) or send us photo updates on our WhatsApp number: +91 7349567602.
VI. Win a prize!
Everyone meeting either of these criteria gets a chance to be part of a lucky draw for the month of December! Two All-India winners (one school and one individual) of the lucky-draw get a special prize from SeasonWatch!
Go out with friends and share your tree-watching experience.
Please do give us your valuable feedback on the event and on using the app.