Registration is Now Open for the August Learning Community!
The conference will be at the Meadows Events & Conference Center in Altoona, Iowa. This conference will feature presentations about medication use, Flex Care communication, Plan Do Study Act (PDSA), falls process improvement and the impact of the Partnership for Patients (PfP) Hospital Engagement Network (HEN).
Have any questions or need additional registration information? Please contact Nancy Thompson.
Spotlight: Community Pharmacies Pilot New Pharmacy Practice Model
The Iowa Pharmacy Association (IPA) is working with seven community pharmacies to improve patient health outcomes, patient safety, and increase focus on medication specific outcomes.
In June 2014, IPA published a press release detailing the community pharmacies pilot project. To access the IPA press release click this link.
CUSP 4MVP to Reduce VAEs
The Iowa Healthcare Collaborative will be participating in the second Cohort of the Comprehensive Unit-Based Safety Program for Mechanically Ventilated Patients (CUSP 4MVP). The project is a guided program to help reduce ventilator-associated events (VAEs) in ICUs. This program is supported by the leading subject matter experts in the field, including Dr. Sean Berenholtz (Johns Hopkins Armstrong Institute) and Dr. Michael Klompas (Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Institute).
The program is looking for new participants and recruitment will begin in August 2014. Cohort 2 will begin in January or February of 2015.
The benefits for your ICU teams:
The benefits for your ICPs:
- CUSP training, including a detailed “phaseline” approach to implementation
- Detailed interventions for VAP prevention
- Elevation of the head of the bed
- Spontaneous Awakening Trials
- Spontaneous Breathing Trials
- Subglottic suctioning endotracheal tubes
- Detailed interventions for VAC prevention
- Early mobility
- Low tidal volume ventilation
For more information on the project, please contact Jennifer Brockman.
- Continued support for VAE surveillance issues
- Access to clinical professionals
Upcoming Partnership for Patients HEN Webcasts:
- Thursday, July 24, 2014: "PFE Series: Understanding Basics of Hospital Safety Across the Board"
- Thursday, July 31, 2014: "The Practical Application of Safety Across the Board"
- Tuesday, August 5, 2014: "Pacing Event: Health Disparities"
- Thursday, August 7, 2014: "PFE Series: Patient and Providers Working Together to Form SAB Partnerships"
For more information and to register for these events click this link
Other Upcoming Events:
- August 1, 2014: "Brain Injury: The Family's Journey" conference for Families and Caregivers from 9:00am to 3:30pm. For more information and to register for this event click this link.
- September 27, 2014: "Taking Control of Your Diabetes Program" to be held at the Iowa Events Center in Des Moines, IA. For more information click this link to view the brochure and click this link to register for the event.
- Do you wash your hands to reduce healthcare-associated infections (HAIs)? Interested in learning strategies to reduce HAIs? SHEA/IDSA released Practice Recommendations called "Strategies to Prevent Healthcare-Associated Infections through Hand Hygiene" click this link to access the recommendations.
- "Heart of the Matter: Treating the Disease Instead of the Person" is a news article from NPR. This article reviews a visit to the ER for a 56-year-old man experiencing chest pains. Click this link to access the article.