Thame Carnival meeting minutes: Tuesday 3rd March 2020
Attendees: Matt Bowland, Emma Roach, Sharon Smits, Simon Markland, Ashley Dearlove, Siofra Simms, Simon Gobling (Red Kite Radio), Bailey Farr
Apologies: Linda Emery, Fran Rimmer, Nicola Hieatt
Next meeting Date: Tuesday 31st March 2020 - 8pm Racquets Fitness Centre Bar
Theme for this year - Heart of Thame - All parade entries have the freedom to dress as they want. - we need to get this message out, probably after Easter.
Charities for this Year: Thame & District Day Care Centre, LWS Young Carers & Thame Girl Guiding
Date of event: Saturday 13th June 2020
Move of equipment: Thursday 11th June 2020
Organising Team: Matt Bowler, Sharon Smits, Sophia Louise Bayleigh, Ashley Dearlove, Linda Emery, Joanne Ashcroft, Simon Markland, Kay Sentance, Dominique Park, Alison Champkin-Woods (Day Care Centre) – more team members welcome.
Stall plan design:
On the day Team: Matt Bowler, Sharon Smits, Sophia Louise Bayleigh, Ashley Dearlove, Linda Emery, Joanne Ashcroft, Simon Markland – more team members welcome.
- Booking form for Southern Road Recreation Ground
- Linda Emery has handed this in January 2020 -
- Public liability insurance document to be sent to Cassie Pinnells TTC, both the current one and the renewal closer to the Carnival date - Sharon chasing the insurers for the Public Liability insurance.
- Sophia Louise Bayleigh to email stall holders and parade entries from previous years - Sophia has done this.
- Siofra Sims is helping the Carnival, for her Duke of Edinburgh award. She is going to go around the businesses for asking for people to book adverts via the website.
- Start asking for helpers and advertisers via www.facebook.com/thamecarnival and Facebook and Love Thame
- Decide on a theme – Heart of Thame – use the Thame blues colour pallet for the logo
- The team needs to have the following, as you can see there are a few gaps. If you can help with any of the below, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Chairman who only project manages - Matt Bowland
- PR / advertising / marketing – Sharon Smits and everyone else
- Stalls and parade bookings – Sophia Louise Bayleigh
- Ground management on the day – Sharon Smits
- Parade organiser – before the event – Required
- Parade organiser – on the day – Lyn & Linda (Dan from Station Yard??)
- Music / stage organiser - Simon Markland & possibly Jon Cole (Sophia to meet on Monday)
- Arena organiser – Simon Markland & possibly Jon Cole
- Waste organiser – Ashley Dearlove
- General administrator – Sophia / Sharon
- Bar organiser – tbc
- Compere – DJ Dan Blaze - confirmed
- Graphic Designer – Required
- Road closure organiser – Round Table - TBC
- Setup and break down organiser – Everyone incl. Dan East - TBC
- Dog show – Jason of Petcare tbc
- On the day: assistant to organisers - Becca Cleare?
- Book Mayor – Linda has booked
- Entertainment - Simon Markland has emailed the performers from last year, he has also had confirmation from the Memphis Rattlesnakes that they can perform.
- Red Kite Radio are going to interview Simon twice and they are discussing the possibility of a live broadcast from the Rec. Interview different people on the ground Simon Gobling from Red Kite has said they will co-ordinate Dan Blaze.
- Archery person from last year, is now doing reptiles, Sharon asked for more details, he has yet to come back to her. Is this something we are interested in? Will find out more details and then discuss next time.
- Nicola Hieatt has been in contact about the Bucks College students to help again.
- Steve from Crash Repairs will provide and take away a car for the Fire brigade to cut up.
- Book railings in Town Centre – Linda has submitted the form
- Thame Equipment Bank order put in - make sure we pick up the tarpaulin.
- Simon Markland has emailed all the performers from last year. Stagecoach have already confirmed they wish to be involved. Simon has emailed lots of performers. Emma Roach to message a local band to play.
- Simon has also spoken to Kev of K & A scaffolding, all sorted for them to build the stage etc. for us as per usual, they will set up late afternoon on the Friday (12th) as normal, we will just need to ensure the council fencing and clips are there as well so they can secure it for the evening. Then they will come to take the stage away on the Sunday as normal. Need to confirm the code for the padlocks. So that just needs to be shared so they can get in and out themselves on the Sunday.
- Lin Wylie is happy to set off the parade again from Elms Park. Must make sure the Mayor sets off the Parade from Elms Park.
- Book cadets (Army and Air) – Ashley to speak to Jo Gresty - Book a stall but no set up or clear down
- Fran Ferret will do a Carnival stall.
- Nicola -
- Update website www.thamecarnival.co.uk (hosted by Pentangle of Thame) – Sophia has done (with help from Sue)
- Float vehicles: All parade entries must arrange their own vehicles – it works out better if the ‘float’ is carried e.g. pirate ship by John Hampden, or there is a smaller vehicle with brilliantly dressed people around it
- OX9'ers to do the street collection - permission form signed
- Guides are going to arrange the litter pick - increase the litter pickers.
- Decide on deals for stalls (whether community or not) - LWS Pimms Tent
- Fair (Ashley) to bring 6 stalls - Ashley Dearlove to confirm details
- Food stalls - Hallomi / Jacket Potatoes / Noodles / Vegan
- Discuss expenses for organisers - receipts will be reimbursed
- Ensure plenty of music in the parade - Round Table Santa Sleigh?
- Ensure plenty of kids games stalls – gnome ringing, splat the rat, balls in jars, climbing wall – this involves the carnival committee organising certain stalls and getting volunteers to run them on behalf of the carnival pot as well as telling everyone who books a stall to ensure they have a fun activity or entertainment - Racquets to help on stalls - tbc
- Arrange St John’s ambulance or other medic company for medical cover (plenty of time ahead) – speak to Peter Butt regarding what he arranged last year. Linda to also ask about Charity status. Ongoing, needs to be put on their list around April.
- Arrange waste: ensure Monday morning pickup if not Saturday or Sunday. Ashley arranging, with improvement on last year. Ashley needs confirmation of order - £380 - Emma to email to confirm and get an invoice
- Arrange toilets – with 1 disabled 1 and ½ sets so there is some further down the field. Ashley getting a formal quote. - £845 + VAT need to book. Emma to email to confirm and get an invoice - decided only going with the same as last year. Going to split the toilets across the Rec.
- Arrange for babies, toddlers and aged to use Scout Hut toilet
- Mayor to open the event, as it’s the "Heart of Thame".
- What could be the ‘big thing for this year’. Peter Harris has arranged a Spitfire fly past as it’s on the Queen’s birthday. Details of time tbc.
- Public liability insurance – copies sent to Thame Town Council and Ashley Dearlove so that it can be sent on to SODC for road closure
- TENS license – Danielle to possibly run the bar then licenses are obtained by them & LWS Pimms
- Event license - ask Sue
- Apply for road closure
- Inform the bus and taxi companies of the road closure
- Parade risk assessment - update last years
- Event risk assessment - update last years
- Event management plan - update last years
- Notify Thames Valley Police of event
- Get posters out
- Liaise with Dog show about posters - Petcare to do dog show and Jason can help with his van to move the equipment.
- Bailey Farr - Farr Catering - food stalls, we will get back to him after spoken to Sophia (possibly noodles and burgers).
- Produce stall plan at least 4 weeks before hand - use last years as a template
- Gather sponsors logos for programme
- Produce programme at least 2 weeks before hand
- Book centre of town banner with TTC
- Complete signage form for TTC
- Produce signage:
- Large road signs
- Banner for centre of town (pre-book weeks with Town Council) – ensure on railings on roundabout
- Bus route signs
- Write the speech for the person opening e.g. Mayor thanking people and ensuring that everyone knows who runs the Carnival
What’s making this Carnival different?
- Spitfire fly past and possibly Red Arrows.
- Arena display by Fire Service again this year Confirmed.
- Confirmed Parade entries: to be added as bookings come in
- Stalls: to be added as bookings come in