In this week's newsletter: Colorado steel mill goes solar, SUNY professor shares Nobel Prize for developing lithium-ion battery, Math for America (now more than ever!) and much more!
View this email in your browser

Colorado Steel Mill, Founded in 1881, Goes Solar

Evraz Rocky Mountain Steel, located in Pueblo, Colorado, founded in 1881 and known for most of its life as Colorado Fuel and Iron, is the mill that built the American West. Most of the steel rails that bound the region to the rest of the United States came out of the mill, and high-quality rails are still among its most important products. For most of its active life, the mill has depended on coal-fired electric plants to heat its steel.

Now it will mill its steel using (mostly) solar power.

Xcel Energy, the ultility that delivers electricity to Evraz, has announced a plan to build a 240 megawatt solar farm to supply 70% of the necessary electricity to run the mill, with the other 30% supplemented with fossil-fuel power that will gradually transition to wind overnight, as Xcel works to green Colorado's grid and reduce emissions overall (Colorado passed a Climate Plan in 2018).

You can read more about this awesome project on the NY Times website here.

Nobel Prize in Chemistry Awarded to Developers of Lithium-Ion Battery

A New York professor who helped develop a rechargeable battery that transformed mobile phones, laptops and many other devices has earned one of the world’s most prestigious awards.

Stanley Whittingham, who teaches at SUNY-Binghamton, was jointly awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry on Wednesday with two other scientists who developed lithium-ion batteries, which are now used globally to power portable devices and even electric cars. They can also be used to store solar- and wind-generated electricity.

The Nobel committee described their “lightweight, rechargeable” creation as “the world’s most powerful battery,” as it can store “significant amounts of energy... making possible a fossil fuel-free society.”

You can read more at the Scientific American website here.

Calling All Teachers! Math for America Wants You!

Calling all Math and Science teachers in NYC Public Schools! Are you looking to join a community of accomplished Math and Science teachers?

Math for America offers fellowships for accomplished New York City public and charter school mathematics and science teachers. Math for America fellowships bring together the best teachers – those with superb content knowledge and pedagogical skills-- and give them new chances to grow and lead.

Start your journey by checking your eligibility and by signing up for an Information Session to learn specifics about the 2020 MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship Application process and opportunities available to Master Teachers – the next Info Session is Thursday, November 14th!
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Website
Now you can support Solar One when you shop on Amazon.com. Just click here or on the image above!

Solar One Events

We have no upcoming events at this time, but we'll see you in the Spring!

Upcoming Events

10/25
Thermal Bridge Modeling for Architects
Building Energy Exchange, 31 Chambers Street, Suite 609, bet Elk & Centre Sts, Manhattan, 1-5pm, $75

10/26
E-Waste Recycling with the Lower East Side Ecology Center: St. Albans
St. Albans the Martyr Episcopal Church, 116-42 Farmers Boulevard bet Turin & Dunkirk Drs, Queens, 10am-4pm, free

Climate Science on the Sand
Brooklyn Bridge Beach, East River Waterfront Esplanade bet Dover & South Sts, Manhattan, 12-4pm, free

10/27
E-Waste Recycling with the Lower East Side Ecology Center: Jackson Heights
37th Avenue bet 78th & 79th Sts, Queens, 10am-4pm, free

E-Waste Recycling with the Lower East Side Ecology Center: Upper West Side
Marlene Meyerson JCC, 334 Amsterdam Avenue bet W. 75th & W. 76th Sts, Manhattan, 10am-4pm, free

Haunted Halloween Lighthouse Boat Tour and Party
National Lighthouse Museum, 200 The Promenade at Lighthouse Point, Staten Island, 3-7pm, $77 adults only

10/29
Buildings of Excellence Competition– Awards Ceremony
Building Energy Exchange, 31 Chambers Street, Suite 609, bet Elk & Centre Sts, Manhattan, 11am-1pm, free

10/31
Celebrate NYC: Big & Green– Mechanical Upgrades
Building Energy Exchange, 31 Chambers Street, Suite 609, bet Elk & Centre Sts, Manhattan, 9am-10:30pm, $15 general admnission/$10 BE-eX members/students free

Happy Halloween!
Copyright © 2018 Solar One, All rights reserved. 
You are receiving this list because you expressed interest in Solar One programming. 
Our mailing address is: 
Solar One
37 West 26th Street #209
New York, NY 10010