- New Zealanders enjoy one of the world's highest life expectancy rates - 82.3 years for females and 78.3 years for males.
- New Zealand has more Scottish pipe bands per capita than Scotland itself.
- No place in New Zealand is more than 87 miles (140 km) from the ocean.
- The first referee in the world to use a whistle to halt a game was William Atack of Christchurch, New Zealand, in 1884.
- The best-selling book in NZ history is Edmonds Cookery Book, initially published in 1908 to promote the use of Edmonds Baking Powder. By 2003, in its 51st edition, it had sold some four million copies in a population that had just reached that same number.
- New Zealand has won more Olympic gold medals, per capita, than any other country.
* As at November 2016