PLEASE TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION
Iowa Turtles need your help!
Share your opinion; explain the importance of the new turtle rules in protecting Iowa’s turtle population from over-harvesting.
- The Iowa DNR is holding a “stakeholder meeting” on September 8 at the Iowa Capitol in Room 116 at 3 PM. This meeting may determine if the turtle-trapping season will be implemented in time to save turtles this winter.The meeting is in response to turtle trappers’ complaints that they didn’t have enough input on the new turtle harvest rules.The DNR’s recommended season and the bag and possession limits are already a compromise. There have already been numerous public input sessions and all NRC meetings provide for public input.Please arrive at 2:30 if you wish to speak.
- We must protect turtles during vulnerable times or there will be no turtles for our children and grandchildren.The season must be closed from at least January to July.We are now asking for a complete closure of commercial harvesting in Iowa.
- Turtle populations are at high risk of depletion, and outdoors folks have long recognized the importance of closed seasons and possession limits to protect wildlife.Open season for trapping other fur-bearing animals which reproduce many times faster than turtles runs from Nov 5 to Jan 31, less than three months.We cannot stand for further delays in rules setting seasons and bag limits. Turtles must be protected now.
Thank the DNR for the consideration, but encourage them and the Natural Resources Council to approve the DNR’s proposal with no further changes!
- Please attend the stakeholder meeting on Thursday, September 8 at 3:00 p.m. in Room 116 at the Iowa Capitol.
- Before the meeting, by Wednesday, September 7, please email Martin Kondrad with your comments at email@example.com
- You may also USPS mail your comments to:
Martin Konrad, Iowa DNR
Wallace State Office Building
502 E 9th
Des Moines, Iowa 50319
- Also, please contact the governor’s chief of staff in your outreach.
5. Also call or email your Legislators today and ask them to contact the governor’s office about approving the DNR’s rules.
FIND YOUR LEGISLATORS AND THEIR CONTACT INFORMATION HERE:
OR CALL (515) 281-3221
for the House Switchboard to talk to your Representative or leave a message.
PLEASE CONTACT US IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS:
Threase Harms Dane Schumann
Contract Lobbyist Contract Lobbyist