¡Felices Fiestas 2016!
As 2017 approaches, your HTI team would like to take a moment to express sincere gratitude and appreciation for you – the scholars, mentors, partners, and supporters who have all contributed to this great work. This past year has been an incredible year for your Hispanic Theological Initiative to celebrate 20 years, and we thank you for your support to honor our past, celebrate the present, and envision the future.
Because of your support and participation, HTI scholars continue to thrive! During 2016 several successfully defended their dissertations and graduated, while the rest are another step closer to the finish line. HTI alumni are excelling and earning leadership positions in the academy and the Church, working with nonprofit organizations, publishing books, giving lectures, and achieving tenure.
As 2016 draws to a close, a look ahead to HTI’s plans for the coming year is truly exciting, and by working together with you, HTI will continue to encourage and empower the Latina/o community to navigate higher education in order to serve the church, the nation, and the world!
We wish you a wonderful holiday season filled with God’s abundant blessings!
¡Les deseamos una época de fiestas plenamente bendecidas por Dios!
HTI Student Aides
Here are the most important accomplishments that illustrate the many success stories at HTI in 2016:
- The year began with a generous $100,000 corporate gift from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation
- Several HTI Scholars defended their dissertation proposals.
- Five HTI Scholars defended their dissertation, and two secured tenure track positions.
- Five HTI Scholars received tenure.
- Six HTI Scholars authored and/or contributed to books
- Several HTI Scholars were represented at lectures given at member institutions and other educational institutions within the United States, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, and Australia.
- HTI honored President Jeffrey Kuan (Claremont School of Theology’s president) as he ended his term as HTI's Member Council Chair, and welcomed Dr. Luis Rivera Rodríguez (Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary’s Dean) to the position.
- Welcomed 39 scholars for the 2016-17 academic year, the highest enrollment since inception!
- Introduced a revised curriculum for HTI's Summer Workshop, which was very successful.
- Welcomed two new member schools, Dallas Theological Seminary and Wheaton College.
- Received a $1.5 million Lilly Endowment, Inc. grant that allows HTI to award ten $25,000 fellowships each year for the next five years.
- HTI celebrated its 20th Anniversary in San Antonio, TX at Oblate School of Theology (HTI Member School), with the presence of founders, funding organizations, consortium member schools, other academic institutions, publishing houses, alumnae, and faculty!