This will go on for a MINIMUM of 10 years. This is likely to be extended, as has been the case at other quarries, including Hills Quarry at Tubney, to 25 years. The extension would not merely be in terms of time, but may well come over the railway line towards Culham. If allowed this Quarry and Concrete Plant will affect many of us for the rest of our lives.
* Oxfordshire does not need the gravel - it has stockpiles to last 18+ years.
* The demand for gravel is diminishing as other materials are used.
* The area is mostly sand so materials will have to be brought in - on more lorries - to make concrete.
* We do not need the recreational lakes they offer to - eventually - restore the area to.
* There is a monument of national importance, a Bronze Age barrow cemetery, on the land which Hills cannot touch but which Historic England fears will be adversely affected by any quarrying works.
Please do not let this happen to our lovely villages and the green belt in between.
It takes only minutes to object. Just send an email BY MAY 13TH (yes, Friday 13th!) to the case officer:
(with c.c. to Lorraine.email@example.com - not essential)
or write to her:
Planning, Oxfordshire County Council
Speedwell House, Speedwell Street, Oxford OX1 1NE
Please act soon and please pass this message on to friends who are not on our Ladies of Culham email circulation list. If we don't defeat it now it will come....
(assisted by Caroline Baird)